planet irk
To acess all the features of this forum, please login or register.
planet irk
To acess all the features of this forum, please login or register.
planet irk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Planet Irk how may we help you

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Surreal Horror?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Invader Zim
Emperor
Emperor
Invader Zim

Characters
Name: Invader Zim
Desc.:
specices: Irken

Surreal Horror? Empty
PostSubject: Surreal Horror?   Surreal Horror? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm

(WARNING: THIS MIGHT SCARE YOUNGER VIEWERS)

Surreal Horror? 12

Music for the Article

As much as they might scare some people, at least monsters, masked men, and Primal Fears are scary in a comprehensible way. Eating chickens that are deformed, giant Protoza, and a crying baby that looks like a cross between a giant grape and a cow, on the other hand...

This is where Surreal Horror comes in. It's not just nightmare-inducing, it's nightmarish in a literal way, by being surreal, disjointed, dreamlike, and filled with bizarre imagery, This is because when people actually dream, it doesn't make sense. Things happen in random orders, for no good reason.

Nevertheless, "dream" is an incredibly potent metaphor. We use "dream" to mean "aspiration", and "nightmare" to mean "fear". Fictional characters are also likely to have meaningful dreams of some variety — either because they may have a supernatural ability that gives them these dreams, or just because, due to only their meaningful dreams are reported in the story.

All this means that most of the time, when fictional dreams are described, they're considerably more coherent than real dreams ever are, a situation that the use of "normal" dreams is a stylistic choice

Basically the genere focus on Writing on the walls shows obsession, characters slowly gowing crazy throughout the story, and the horrors of what people see when becoming ill or intoxicated

Surreal Horror? 31

usually saying goodbye to all logic and sanity in the process. In some cases, though, it might not always work like Stephen King's case

Surreal Horror? 0186
Surreal Horror? 0187
Surreal Horror? 0188
Surreal Horror? 0189
Surreal Horror? 0190
Surreal Horror? 0191
Surreal Horror? 0192
Surreal Horror? 0194
Surreal Horror? 0195

In case You're wondering why you just saw this, well I wasn't trying to make sense...................just like the topic you're reading

The examples of this working are Alice in Wonderland

Another example is Pretty much every story by Umezu Kazuo, notably The Drifting Classroom in which an entire elementary school is transported to a nightmarish Post Apocalyptic world where horrific muntants try to eat them, and Fourteen, in which a humanoid deformed chicken (named George) is leading Nature's revenge against the industrialized humanity and proccedes to destroy eve

Eraserhead is absolute epitome of this trope, being arguably the weirdest of his feature films, although his short film Rabbits(~40 minutes) is just as (if not more) surreal. Also, Inland Empire. Other David Lynch movies (especially Lost Highway) also show signs of this. A few scenes in Mulholland Drive as well, particularly the Winkies scene and the scenes involving the old people. And practically all of Fire Walk With Me. This is pretty much the David Lynch specialty

Oh You Don't Believe me take a look at this

Surreal Horror? 0196

That thing is one of David Lynch's Puppets
Back to top Go down
https://planetirk.forumotion.com
spongebob
Government Concil
Government Concil
spongebob

Characters
Name: spongebob
Desc.:
specices: sea sponge

Surreal Horror? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surreal Horror?   Surreal Horror? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

But mom I dont want to see a puppet show _hahahahahahahahah
after seeing the last image!!!!!!

A really good article. I liked how you slowly explained each type of character as well as setting.

The imagery you showed the reader was good for two reasons-neat to see examples plus it gave the reader a built in break from the information they were just given

Plus I thought your humor was funny and illusttrated a point.

I thought the image with the butterflies reall neat first and last imahe OMG creepy yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Music appropriate A good read
Back to top Go down

Surreal Horror?
Page 1 of 1